Sunday 2 June 2013

Canon 70-200mm Lens Review

For some time now I've wanted to purchase a telephoto lens. I looked around for what options were out there that were in my price range and would provide a quality lens. I got it down to 2 lenses, a Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro Lens for Canon and a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens. Both lenses are of a similar price, so I set out to do some research on the 2 lenses. At first I was sold on the Tamron for it's low F stop and the price was about a third of the price of the equivalent Canon lens. The reviews I read on the Tamron lens gave good feed back for the lens and with this lens having the low F stop, I thought it was a clear winner.

I then came across a Canon lens which is a similar price to the Tamron lens and other than the fact that the F stop only goes down to 4, there wasn't a lot of difference in the two lenses. The benefit of having a lens that goes down to F stop 2.8 is that I would be able to take photos in lower light. However the review I had read on both lenses, would suggest that the Canon was a sharper lens. One review I read warned that one of the dangers of buying a L series lens was that you wouldn't want to buy any other type of lens again.

Well in the end I decided to go with the Canon lens. My main reasons were that the reviews I read didn't fault the lens at all and raved about the sharp quality of photos that were taken. Reviews on the Tamron lens suggested that photos taken at F2.8 weren't that sharp so the extra F stops on the Tamron weren't a benefit over the Canon lens which was extremely sharp.

So I now have a new lens...YAY!!! And have had it out this week to practice using it. I can vouch for the fact that I may never want to buy any other type of lens again other than a Canon L series lens. The sharpness was undoubtable and so far I'm a very happy girl with a new lens.

I've included some photos below, taken on my new Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens.






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...